300 years of heritage

Since the early 13th century, Europe’s ruling houses had been importing porcelain at mind-boggling prices from China. Research aimed at cracking the secret of how porcelain was made commenced at Meißen early in the 18th century. Those involved were Johann Friedrich Böttger, Ehrenfried Walther von Tschirnhaus, the Freiberg Mining Counsellor Gottfried Pabst von Ohain and further mining and smelting specialists. The research was commissioned by Augustus the Strong, Elector Prince of Saxony and King of Poland.

The work proved successful. The first white porcelain was produced in 1708 under the direction of Johann Friedrich Böttger. Europe’s first porcelain had been born.

23 January 1710
Proclamation from the Saxon Court Chancellery in a “most high decree” issued in Latin, French, German and Dutch in which the invention of porcelain and the founding of a Porcelain Manufactory were announced.

6 June 1710
Meissen Porcelain Manufactory set up at Albrechtsburg Castle in Meißen

since 1722
Use of the “crossed swords”

since 1739
Onion Pattern regularly supplied

1861 to 1864
Present production site in Meißen’s Triebisch Valley built

1912-1915/1916
Porcelain Museum built/“Exhibition Hall” inaugurated

since 26 June 1991
Enterprise run as a public limited company operating under the name of Staatliche Meissener Porzellan-Manufaktur GmbH (shareholder is the federal state of Saxony)

1991/92
Extensive renovation of the Porcelain Museum

1996
Tercentenary of the birth of Johann Gregorius Höroldt

1 June 1998
“Friends of Meissen Porcelain” Club established by Staatliche Meissener Porzellan-Manufaktur GmbH

2000
World’s first organ with a perfectly tuned set of pipes in Meissen Porcelain®

22 June 2005
Porcelain Museum extension unveiled

2006
Tercentenary of the birth of Johann Joachim Kaendler

2007
Tercentenary of Böttgersteinzeug®

2008
Tercentenary of the invention of European hard-paste porcelain

2009
Germany’s highest-achieving classic celebrates its 270th birthday: the Onion Pattern from MEISSEN

2010
Tercentenary of the MEISSEN® Manufactory